Hey guys! Josh here with a quick intro before we get onto the food. You may have noticed we’ve been a little quiet on the blog recently – this is because we are currently in the process of switching over to a newer, faster website! There’s been a lot of hard work involved and a lot of late nights, which has meant we haven’t been able to write as much as we would have liked. We’ll be back to normal service again very soon, so thanks for being so patient!
To help us out, I’ve invited the fabulous Charley from Charley's Health over to the blog for some guest recipes! I think you’re going to love what she’s created :)
Over to you, Charley!
Spicy Vegan Burgers & Caramelised Coconut Nectarines
Seeing as we’ve been pretty lucky with the hot weather lately here in the UK, what better time than to whip out the BBQ and enjoy lots of delicious food with friends and family in the sunshine. I know your classic BBQ food might seem slightly limited when it comes to vegan options, but in this case, that couldn’t be further from the truth! These two dishes are super quick and simple to make, completely vegan and taste absolutely delicious.
First up, we have the burgers. I feel that the key to a good vegan burger really is the flavour and these ones are packed with an array of amazing spices to pack a real punch of spicy, tomato flavour into every mouthful. These are also crammed full of a whole variety of vegetables, which not only provide lots of taste and texture, but also means that you’re on your way to getting 5 a day from the burger alone! Another thing that I love about these is just how versatile they are. You could serve them with a salad, grilled veggies or even in a classic bun if you’d like.. and if you have some left over, they make for a great packed lunch addition the following day!
Spicy Vegan BBQ Burgers with Tahini Garlic Mayo
1 cup sweetcorn
1 cup grated sweet potato
1 small red onion- finely diced
Good pinch each of cumin seeds, garlic granules and ground coriander
Chilli flakes to taste
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 tbsp chickpea flour
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 can of organic black eyed peas
Sea salt and black pepper
2 tbsp light tahini
1 tsp maple syrup or other sweetener of choice
1 clove of garlic- crushed
1 heaped tbsp of fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper
1. To make the burgers, add the black eyed peas into your food processor and pulse for a few seconds to blend them into a slightly mushy consistency. Meanwhile, combine the corn, grated sweet potato and red onion together in a mixing bowl.
2. Add 3/4 of the corn and sweet potato mix into your food processor and blend this in with the black eyed peas for a few seconds. Transfer this mixture into your mixing bowl and mix with the remaining corn, potato and onion.
3. Next, add all of your spices into the mix, as well as the flour, tomato puree and salt and pepper to taste. Mix everything well so that all of the ingredients are well combined. Take some of the burger mix in your hands and shape into a patty about the size of the palm of your hand. Repeat this until all of the mixture is used up.
4. To cook your burgers, you can either place them onto the BBQ or under the grill and cook until nice a crispy on both sides and piping hot in the centre. Cooking times may vary depending on how you choose to cook them.
5. Whilst the burgers are cooking, you can prepare the delicious mayo! Combine all of the above ingredients together and mix well. Gradually add in a drizzle of water until you reach a smooth and creamy pouring consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve the burgers with sides of your choice and a generous drizzle of ‘mayo’. Enjoy!
Now, onto one of the most important part of any meal.. dessert! Sometimes, in the warmer weather it’s nice to enjoy something a little bit lighter, so these grilled nectarines are just the treat! They’re sweet, juicy and just taste simply heavenly when caramelised on the BBQ. As if they weren’t delicious enough on their own, I’ve coated them in a little bit of coconut jam, which has an incredible toffee like flavour that just becomes so sticky and indulgent when the nectarines are cooked! It’s making me hungry just thinking about it! These would make a great thing to serve if you’re looking for something quick and simple to throw together after dinner, but don’t want to compromise on taste.. or nutrition for that matter! They would be amazing served with some coconut yoghurt or even whipped coconut cream.
Coconut BBQ’d Nectarines with Coconut Jam
Coconut yoghurt, coconut chips, fresh pomegranate, pistachios. Get creative!
1) Slice the nectarine in half and remove the stone
2) Heat the coconut jam gently in a saucepan to melt it. Brush the nectarine with the jam and place both halves onto the BBQ or grill. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until really soft and caramelised.
3) Serve with some coconut yoghurt or toppings of your choice!
Have a great weekend, all!