Need an easy meal to get your greens in?
This simple and flavourful soup is packed full of green goodness and protein. it can be eaten on its own as a light meal or you could add some bread to make it more filling.
It contains some of our unflavoured Vegan Protein, to help you boost your protein intake, so your body can recover.
For the soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot roughly chopped
1 garlic clove roughly chopped
240g asparagus, cut into 3 inch pieces (set the tips aside)
750ml vegetable stock
320g frozen peas
1/2 tbsp olive oil
Reserved asparagus tips
1 small garlic clove finely chopped
Salt and pepper
Lemon cut into wedges
Plain plant based yoghurt to garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan over a medium heat add the tablespoon of olive oil followed by the chopped shallot and garlic. Cook until the shallot is soft, about 5 minutes. Add a splash of water if the pan gets dry.
- Once the shallot is soft, add the chopped asparagus (but not the tips) and a couple of big pinches of salt. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the vegetable stock, frozen peas and bring the soup to a simmer.
- While the soup is simmering, heat up half a tablespoon of olive oil in a small/medium frying pan over a medium/high heat. Once hot, add the asparagus tips and cook for about 1 minute, add the finely chopped garlic, a pinch of salt and stir well. Cook until the asparagus is just tender, stirring regularly to avoid the garlic getting burnt. Set aside once cooked.
- Once the soup has simmered for a couple of minutes, take the pan off the heat. Add the watercress and stir, allowing it to wilt. After a minute transfer the soup to a blender along with the protein and blend until smooth. Return the soup to the pan and taste to season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup in bowls, garnished with the asparagus tips and yoghurt, with the lemon wedges on the side.
Thanks to @beatonjamie for the recipe!